Motor and Generator Institute (MGI) was formed in 1995 by Dan Chisholm, Sr. Dan has worked in the emergency power industry for over 40 years. While running his own service business, Dan saw the need for facilities to fine-tune their protocols so the emergency power supply system (EPSS) would operate properly when needed.
Today, Dan serves as the Chairman of the National Fire Protection Association’s Technical Committees responsible for NFPA 110, Emergency and Standby Power Systems, NFPA 111, Stored Electrical Energy Emergency and Standby Power Systems, and a technical committee member of the Electrical Section of NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code.
During the last 21 years, MGI has hosted over 1,000 in-person training classes and published multiple editions of the Healthcare Emergency Power Supply Systems: Maintenance, Testing, and Compliance Manual.
Imagine having all EPSS maintenance, testing, and compliance answers you need, just a click away! That’s what MGI gives you. It’s your ticket to understanding today’s most important EPSS maintenance and testing topics, while also helping you stay compliant with all AHJs.
Codes and Standards
Standards used in the creation of MGI educational programs include:
- NFPA 70, National Electrical Code®
- NFPA 99, Health Care Facilities Code®
- NFPA 101, Life Safety Code®
- NFPA 110, Standard for Emergency and Standby Power Systems
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Regulations
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Service (CMS) 42 CFR 482.15
- The Joint Commission – Environment of Care (EC) Section
- DNV Healthcare – Physical Environment (PE) Section